Planning my 2022 Veggie & Herb Garden. Sharing the tried and true and new to me seeds I will be growing this year.
Be sure to watch my video for more details about the seeds I’m planting in my veggie and herb garden this year!
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that purchases made through such links directly support this blog at no additional cost to you. The support I receive allows me to continue to create free content and resources for you. You can find my full disclosure here. Thank you so much for your support!
2022 Garden Planning | Veggie & Herb Seeds
It is currently snowing here in Upstate NY but that isn’t stopping me from dreaming of and planning for my 2022 herb & veggie garden. Since it’s too cold to actually garden, now is the perfect time to plan. For example, start thinking about what you want to grow, sourcing the seeds you need, and making a plan for when and where to plant everything.
If you are looking to start or expand your garden space this year, check out my tutorial for how to make a $20 raised garden bed. I also shared my seed starting set up here. If you are new to gardening or just want to learn more, I recommend this book. It has a lot of great information for both the new and experienced gardener.
Here in zone 5b I have a lot of perennial herbs. Things like oregano, sage, lavender, mint, and thyme all over winter and come back year after year. Even though chamomile isn’t considered a perennial, it reseeds itself so I don’t need to replant it.
Here is a list of herbs I will have in my 2022 garden:
- Chamomile – Zloty Lan
- Basil – Aromatto, Lettuce Leaf, Lime, Genovese
- Nasturtium – Yeti, Tip Top Rose
- Agastache – Rose Mint, Navajo Sunset
- Lemon Balm – Mandarina
- White Horehound
- Butterfly Pea Thai Double Blue
My favorite part of growing a garden is having the opportunity to grow plants I wouldn’t be able to try otherwise. For example, I’ve never seen my favorite variety of bean (Dragon Tongue) sold at any grocery store or farmers market. I’ve found it’s best to grow both foods you use and love in addition to some new foods to try. Below is a list of my tried and true varieties plus some of the new to me varieties I plan to grow in my 2022 garden.
New to me
- Celery – Chinese White, Utah Tall
- Black Goji Berry
- Peas – Tall Telephone, Lillian’s Caseload, Little Marvel
- Chinese Broccoli Yod Fah
- Cucumber – Armenian Yard-Long
- Pepper – California Wonder, King of the North, Ajvarski
- Luffa Gourd
- Radish – Red Rat’s Tail, Japanese Minowase Daikon
- Cherry Tomato – Sun Gold, White Currant, Black Strawberry, 42 Day, Chocolate Pear, Rosella
- Tomato – Torburn’s Terra-cotta, Black from Tula, Giant Crimson, Big Rainbow
- Paste Tomato – Salvaterra’s Select, Opalka
Tried & True
- Onion – Ailsa Craig
- Beans – Blauhilde, Dragon Tongue
- Carrot – Longue Rouge Sang
- Cucumber – Mexican Sour Gherkin
- Ground Cherry – Cossack’s Pineapple
- Lettuce – Little Gem
- Okra – Heavy Hitter
- Pepper – Cayenne Long Thin, Pablano
- Radish – White Icicle, French Breakfast
- Zucchini – Fordhook, Tromboncino
- Cherry Tomato – Blue Berries,
- Tomato – Thorburn’s Lemon Blush, Dr. Wyche’s Yellow, Black Beauty, Paul Robeson, Black Krim,
The lists above are my current list’s of seeds I’m excited for, but it will change a bit as I continue to plan. Every time I think I am done buying seeds I find something else that I “need” to try. In addition, I’ll also buy a few started plants from local greenhouses to add to my garden.
Thank you for stopping by and talking seeds with me today. I find the dreaming and planning of my garden just as fun as the planting and harvesting. I look forward to taking you along on my gardening journey this year!
What are you excited about growing this year? Let me know in the comments!