Old Wives’ Tales can be a fun way to guess the gender of your baby. I’ll go through several common ones and share our ultimate baby gender reveal!
Baby Gender Reveal
Did you catch our baby announcement? You can watch it HERE if you missed it!
Click the video below to hear all my answers and see the final baby gender reveal!
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that purchases made through such links directly support this blog at no additional cost to you. You can find my full disclosure here.
Old Wives’ Tales to Predict Baby Gender
- Carrying high or low? It’s thought that if you’re carrying high, you will have a girl. Low means boy.
This one was tricky for me because I don’t have that much of a bump still, but I’m leaning more towards girl on this one.
- Bump Shape: If it sticks out, you might be having a girl, but more distributed then boy.
I am definitely boy for this one.
- Skin. If you’ve had acne or other skin blemishes during pregnancy, expect a girl. If your skin is better than ever, expect a boy.
My skin is about the same it’s always been right now, but I did struggle with some hormonal acne during the first trimester, so girl?
- Hair & nails: If your hair and nails are thin and brittle you might be having a girl, but healthy hair and long nails then boy.
My hair has remained thick and my nails are growing like crazy without breaking, so boy!
- Body temperature: If you’re feeling cold and icy then you’re having a boy, but hot and sweaty means girl.
I am always so cold! Boy all the way on this one.
- Baby’s heart rate; Under 140 bpm means boy and over 140 means girl.
Baby’s heart rate is always right around 150, so girl!
- Cravings. Sweet cravings indicate girl, while salty or sour foods suggest boy.
I haven’t had strong cravings, but I have really enjoyed cold, tart, sweet things (like lemon ice, lemonade, and sweet tarts). The weirdest thing to me is that I have always loved chocolate and rich, sweet deserts. Ever since being pregnant I could take them or leave them. So not like me! I’m going boy for this one.
- Ancient Chinese and Mayan cultures used a calendar to predict baby’s gender. The Chinese Calendar looks at due date and age. You can google this and enter your info and it will tell you boy or girl. According to the Mayan, if both your age and the year you conceived are even or both odd, you’re having a girl. If one is even and one is odd, you’re having a boy.
For these ones the Chinese calender predicted boy, while the Mayan predicted girl.
- Morning sickness? Yes = girl, No = boy.
I’ve been so lucky to have not had any morning sickness so far, so thankfully boy on this one.
- Heart burn? Yes = girl, No = boy.
Another one I thankfully haven’t experienced, so boy!
- Ring Test. Use a ring or your wedding band tied on a string or piece of hair and hold it over your belly. If it swings in a circle then baby’s a boy, if it swings back and forth then baby’s a girl.
When I did this the ring definitely swung in a circle, so boy.
- Swollen legs or ankles? Yes = boy, No = girl
Thankfully no, so girl!
- If you have experienced lots of clumsiness during your pregnancy, get ready for a boy, if you’ve been graceful then a girl.
This one is kind of funny, I went to ask Kurt his opinion and as I walked in the door I accidentally kicked something on the floor and hurt my foot. Boy for this one!
- Apparently if you have dreams about a baby, your baby will be the opposite gender than the one you’ve been seeing in your dreams.
I haven’t been remembering my dreams, so I can’t really answer this one.
- Frequent headaches during your pregnancy can indicate a boy.
I had a few migraines early on, but wouldn’t consider them frequent, so girl.
- How is your mood since being pregnant? If you are happy or mellow expect a boy, but moody expect a girl.
Kurt said my mood has been the same as always, I think I’ve been very calm, cool and collected. I’m going with boy on this one.
Baby Gender Reveal
Add that all up and majority of the old wives’ tales predict boy. Are they right?!
Yes!! We are expecting a sweet baby BOY this June! We are beyond excited to raise this little guy on Flint Creek Farm.
I’ve been finding so many cute baby clothes at Old Navy, like the thermal onesie and little shoes above.
I’ve also found great baby items at TJ Maxx, like that cute little teddy bear!
Thank you so much for taking the time to celebrate this exciting news with us. It means so much to have you here and share this exciting season of our lives with you!